Basic Kimchi recipe -
2 large napa or savoy cabbage
1 thinly sliced red pepper
6 cups of cold water
3 tablespoons of sea salt
1 tablespoon of fresh garlic, finely diced
1 - 2 tablespoon of fresh ginger, finely diced or grated
1/4 cup of fresh green onions, thinly sliced into 2" pieces
2 teaspoon of dried red chili pepper flakes
2 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoon of sugar
1. Chop cabbage into 2" pieces
2. Mix salt in cold water
3. Place cabbage in gallon zip lock bags or tightly sealed glass jars, fill with salt water brine and place in refrigerator for 12 hours or overnight flipping occasionally
4. Drain and reserve brine
5. Mix all other ingredients with cabbage
6. Pack 1 gallon jar with mixture leaving 2" space at top. Pour reserved brine over the cabbage to cover.
7. Push a small freezer bag into the mouth of the jar and pour the remaining brine into the bags (you may need the extra brine later). Better yet, use another glass jar that will fit inside your gallon jar.
8. Let kimchi ferment in a cool place no higher than 70° for 3-6 days. The longer the stronger.
9. Remove the brine weight, add more brine to jar if neccesary and cap tightly. Store in the refrigerator where it will keep for a couple months.