Friday 21 December 2012

Paella in Covent Garden


It was very interesting to see a big crowd in this particular open air restaurant in Covent Garden, London.




We didn't even managed to have a taste of it as it was not in our agenda that day. We were running out of time as we were meeting friends somewhere else.





I vowed to myself that I should try to cook Paella one of these days to compensate myself.





From my Mary Berry Cookbook which I've now retrieved from our previous home, I've got this recipe to follow. For the moment, I'm just mentally preparing myself and bookmarked this for when I've got the ingredients all ready. Not too keen on eating shellfish, so I've omitted the mussel suggested in the book.

How to cook simple Paella:
3 Tbsp olive oil
6 chicken thighs
250 g bacon strips
1 large chopped onions
1 litre chicken stock
250g chopped tomatoes
2 garlic cloves crushed
a few pinches of saffron thread soaked in little hot water
500 g short grain rice
1 red and 1 green sweet pepper sliced
125 g peas
salt and pepper
125 g cooked prawns

To Finish
12 black olives
6 larged cooked prawns
lemon wedges
1 Tbsp chopped parsley

  • Heat the oil in a large pan.
  • Add the chicken and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes until brown all over
  • Add the bacon and onion and cook for another 5 minutes
  • Stir in the stock, tomatoes, garlic and the saffron with it's soaking liquid. Bring to a boil.
  • Add the rice. Add the red and green peppers, peas and season with salt and pepper.
  • Cover and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 35-40 minutes until rice is nearly tender and the stock has been absorbed.
  • Stir the cooked prawns into the paella, cook for another 5 minutes on.
  • Arrange large prawns and lemon wedges on top. Serve hot and sprinkle with parsley.


Wouldn't it be nice if we could cook the Paella in one of those big BIG cauldron...for nice effect...but perhaps we wouldn't manage to finish the dish... LOL!


5 comments:

  1. Annie , seeing those big pans of paella makes me drool :D They look absolutely scrumptious :D And you didn't even try it ?! Such a shame ! lol

    Happy Christmas and a Bountiful 2013 !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, thanks for sharing the pictures. The BIG BIG pan of paella look interesting and mouth watering.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe, it look so good. If I have the chance to visit you, can you cook this for me? LOL

    Merry Christmas to you and all at home. Have a nice week ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK Amelia, we will have a very big pan of Paella ready for you...just let us know when:)

      From our family to yours, Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Saw this on tv - would love to try it... Yummmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Although I do not have the time to reply to everyone of them on a constant basis, but, I do read every comment and appreciate it all.