Saturday 1 April 2017

The first beans to sow for this year

Dear Family & Friends

A village grandmother gave me a small bag of fava bean seeds yesterday. I felt like Jack of 'Jack n the beanstalk'...so full of excitement to get some magic beans. I'm not familiar with Fava beans, although I've planted them once before, with little success.

Photo by South GA Seed CO.

This time around, I did a lot of research on this type of beans. I've learned that the whole plant is edible and delicious...from leaves to flower, to the bean pod and bean itself....I'm beginning to look at it in different perspective. I'm more keen to  try on the green shoots:)

One reason why the village grandmother gave this particular bean seeds was because she said it is the earliest beans harvest one could sow in the year. Well, that's definitely another great incentive. Plus of course, any legume plant grown in the garden will increase and fix more nitrogen into our garden soil!

I'm off for another quick gardening fun time. Hope you are having a good day too:)

Yours

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of those beans, but have no experience with growing them (or eating them either).
    Hope they do well for you. I'll be curious to see what you end up with.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Although I do not have the time to reply to everyone of them on a constant basis, but, I do read every comment and appreciate it all.