Rainbow Rice Recipe from Phong Hong Bakes Blog:
For the Rice:
1. 4 cups basmati rice (soak for 10 minutes, wash and drain)
2. 4 cups water
3. 1/2 cup milk
4. 2 stalks lemongrass (bruised)
5. 4 pandan leaves knotted
6. 1 cube chicken stock
7. Some red, green and yellow food coloring
1. 3 cloves
2. 3 cardamom
3. 2 star a 2 star anise
4. 1 inch cinnamon stick
5. 1 inch ginger (pounded)
6. 5 shallots (pounded)
7. 2 cloves garlic (pounded)
Oil to Saute Spices :
1. Enough oil to saute spices (I used grapeseed oil)
2. 1 tablespoon of ghee
Now, ghee gives the rice a distinct aroma, however if you do not like the smell of ghee, just leave it out or substitute with butter or margarine.
1. Heat oil and ghee in frying pan.
2. Throw in all your spice ingredients together with lemongrass and pandan. Saute on medium heat until fragrant (about 5 minutes).
3. Put in the basmathi rice, chicken stock and stir to ensure that the rice is properly mixed with the spices and coated with oil.
4. Transfer to rice pot and add water and milk.
5. Cook rice as normal.
6. When the rice is cooked, immediately pour in the coloring onto 3 spots and cover for anothecover for another 15 minutes.
7. After 15 minutes, stir the rice to get an even mix of colours.