Friday 19 September 2014

Greek Tomatokeftedes

Dear Family & Friends

Although we didn't have as many tomatoes as we had last year, yet there is always enough. We gather here and there, as most of our tomatoes this year are mere volunteers found in flower beds and compost heap. Next year I will be more organized. I will grow and label them to get 'the' tomato variety that we want. Some tomatoes are nice for fresh salad while others are good for cooking. I mix different tomatoes for cooking. It gives more interesting flavour. Here's a Greek recipe for tomatokeftedes.  

Tomatokeftedes - a greek dish
1/12 cup of tomatoes (3-4 tomatoes), finely chopped
100g feta cheese, smashed (3.5 ounces)
1/2 of a cup red onion (1 large onion), grated
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsps fresh spearmint, finely chopped 
1 tsp dried oregano 
1/2 cup flour 
1 tsp baking powder 
salt and freshly ground paper 
oil for frying

I had my tomatokeftedes with a dallop of plain yogurt...it's delish!

  1. Cut the tomatoes into 4 pieces, and with a spoon remove the flesh. Chop the flesh of the tomatoes, into small cubes and place in a colander with some salt. Leave them for 30 minutes.
  2. Combine the chopped tomatoes, the onions and mix with a spoon; add the herbs, and the feta cheese. Add the flour and baking powder to the tomato mixture, until the ingredients are combined and firm enough to make the balls. Add a little more flour if needed. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  3. In a pan add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan, and heat the oil into medium-high heat. Fry the tomatokeftedes for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until nicely colored. Place them on paper towel, to absorb the extra olive oil.

Tomatokeftedes is nice eaten with a dallop of plain yogurt and some crusty bread. It's a good way to use up the abundance of tomatoes in season too:)
For now, I have to get back to my research on Rhineland Palatinate in preparation for our coming family holiday. We're building our excitement for the autumn break. The girls would be able to see some German culture and have the opportunity to speak German:)... as for me, it's too late to brush up my language...so I'll settle and rely on my little interpreters if need be:)

Wishing you a lovely day today:)

Yours

4 comments:

  1. Annie!!! These look absolutely delicious!!!! I would so love to try these!!! Thank you for passing this one along!!! Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very appetizing dish , Annie ! Fritters , Greek-style sounds wonderful :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They look wonderful, Annie! I want to try this soon. My tomato plants got zapped by a freeze, so we will not get many this year :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love to try this recipe. I told you before but we didn't have good crops this year. We must do better next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Although I do not have the time to reply to everyone of them on a constant basis, but, I do read every comment and appreciate it all.