Dear Family & Friends
I waited for a long while... Finally, I noticed a German food chain shop selling an electric steamer - but only for that one Saturday. I went and got a steamer:) Steaming food is an healthier option for us. We like steamed food. Today, I'll share with you a Chinese steamed bun recipe.
|my new steamer...with steamed buns for the family|
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water; set it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix together all of the ingredients along with the activated yeast mixture in a mixing bowl.
- Knead the mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Put the big ball of dough in a bowl lined with oil. Brush oil on top of the dough too.
- Cover and let the dough rise till double in size.
- Divide the dough into small balls. Flatten each balls, put 1 tbsp. filling in each (any pre-made filling of your choice - savoury or sweet) and close to form a bun shape.
- Put the bun on a square piece of paper and arrange them on the steamer.
- Steam the buns for about 10-15 minutes.
|our family just loves this siopao - hot buns with fillings inside|
This recipe is a keeper...the bun is super soft and moist. It is so easy to make and I find it more convenient than baking a bread bun in the oven. The bun is springy with a cake like texture.
|super soft and moist dough...a keeper!|
This dough can be transformed into different shapes and forms. The buns can be filled with various cooked fillings. Any leftover stew, chili con carne, stir fried assorted veggies will be suitable too. I'm even thinking of filling it with baked beans, sausages etc...It can also be sweet like custard filling or sweet bean paste, or simply plain as it is - without any fillings inside.
I've done this siopao two days in a row because the first day I did it...my family looks like I haven't fed them after eating about 3 buns each! Day two, I did it again...this time, 4 buns per person. But still not enough!! I guess it will always be 'not enough' because we all just like it! But I'm resting from it on the third day...I've got lots of gardening jobs to do still...you know...
Hope you have a good day today too.