Tuesday 5 March 2013

My Pan De Sal Recipe



Dear Bakers

As per my previous posting, Bam's Kitchen (http://bamskitchen.com) had asked for the recipe of the Pan De Sal....it didn't occur to me to post the recipe along ...so I'm back to update on it.


Most of you cook and bake so well with great success...even come up with a recipe just by tasting and trying out a dish. That's what I call a 'Talent' . For me, a kitchen is a challenging place...although I've managed to keep my family healthy and happy with my everyday homemade food! The credit is to them...because they are all very easy to please and are very contented lot  :)  



From time to time, I do challenge myself and I'm forever reading recipe, always looking for inspiration from food bloggers too. Here's the recipe for the Pan De Sal...one that I've tested a few times now and found easy to do and works wonderfully.


2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
4 - 4 1/2 cups White bread flour*
Bread crumbs (you can use wheat bran, that's what I did;)

Preheat oven to 375 F

Dissolve 2 tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar, together with 1/4 cup lukewarm water in a container.Stand for 10 minutes.

Combine 1 1/4 cups water, sugar, salt and vegetable oil. Add the yeast mixture and the flour. Mix well. The dough should just hold together. Add more flour or water if needed to get the correct consistency.

Transfer the dough to floured board. Knead till smooth and elastic. Place dough on a greased bowl and cover with damp teatowel, and let it rise for 1-1/2 hours till it doubles in size.

Push down the dough and dicvide into 20 balls. Roll in bread crumbs and place on a baking sheet. Let it rise once again till double in size.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve warm.




Expert bread makers seems to understand measuring ingredients by percentage....I still don't get it no matter how much I read...so measuring by cups is more to my understanding.

I think the kind of bread flour also affects the bread texture. In Bulgaria, I have very little choice when it comes to shopping for ingredients. So, I just can't be fussy. Flour sold here seems to be mostly bread flour and it just says TIP 500 or TIP 650. Don't ask me, I don't understand those numbers either... usually, the more expensive available local brand flour works good.  I use them for everything...cakes, jiaozi, pancakes, homemade pasta, pies etc. With the same flour, everything seems to still come out good for my non-fuzz standard. :O

So, my dear bakers...I do appreciate your sharing of what you know. Mine is always done the primitive way: The happiness in our kitchen is hanging by the fact that it is still homemade, done in my own small way but with great love:)

Enjoy cooking and baking...one way to spread joy!



Yours,


Annie




5 comments:

  1. Hi Annie! I like you ending statement! ... way to spread joy! And love!

    You are being humble! You bake very well too... better than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie,

    I like to make my bread using grams and cups too! Ratio seems too complicated for me :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie, thanks for sharing the recipe. This bread look so soft and fluffy. I like the bread skin that rolled in bread crumbs.

    Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie , I'm getting cross-eyed whenever I see the percentage ratio :P I just can't understand it lol Thank God for weighing scale :D Just love your yummy pan de sal ! They look perfectly-baked !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking to make rolls this morning. This looks inviting. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Although I do not have the time to reply to everyone of them on a constant basis, but, I do read every comment and appreciate it all.